We’ve long seen that certain companies like to innovate with the English language by misspelling brand names—arriving at names like Lyft and Tumblr.
Click here to read the story at fastcompany.com.
- What is branding?
- How do you think establishing a name for a business impacts the brand?
- How important do you think a name is to a new business?
- What is market research?
- Why do businesses and brands engage in market research?
- What does market research tell us about how consumers perceive businesses with names that are intentionally misspelled?
- Why do you think companies like Lyft and Krispy Kreme decided on an unconventional spelling for the business name?
- How do you think it has impacted each respective business from a branding perspective?
- In addition to Lyft and Krispy Kreme, can you think of any other examples of businesses with unconventional spellings?
- How do you personally perceive those business names?
- If you were starting a business, would you consider an unconventional spelling for the company name, despite the data from this market research? Why or why not? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.