When the International Olympic Committee signed off on five new sports for the 2028 Summer Games at a meeting in Mumbai on Monday, much of the attention in the U.S. revolved around the inclusion of flag football, or lacrosse, or the return of baseball and softball.
Click here to read the story at usatoday.com.
- Who is the IOC?
- Why did the IOC sign off on adding five new sports for the 2028 Summer Games?
- Where will the 2028 Games be held?
- What are the five new sports?
- What is cricket?
- What is a niche sport?
- Do you think cricket qualifies as a niche sport? Why or why not?
- How might the levels of fandom around the world around the sport of cricket have helped it to become an official Olympic sport?
- Why do you think it took this long for cricket to become an official Olympic sport?
- How might its inclusion help the sport to grow in popularity globally?
- Why is that important to the sport?
- Flag flootball will be another new sport featured at the 2028 Summer Games. Why do you think the NFL is excited about that?
- What are ratings?
- Why are they important to NBC during the Olympics?
- In your opinion, will the inclusion of cricket and flag football provide NBC with a ratings boost? Why or why not?