At the Los Angeles Football Club’s University Hills training facility, some 10 weeks after winning its first Major League Soccer title in a thrilling penalty shootout, lead managing owner Bennett Rosenthal is still processing his team’s spectacular season.
Click here to read the story at forbes.com.
- What factors might influence the value of a professional sports franchise?
- Given that more than half of MLS teams lose money (according to this news story), why do so many people want to invest in a MLS franchise?
- How do teams generate revenue?
- What might represent some expenses for a pro sports team?
- What do you think a team’s biggest expense might be?
- What makes LAFC such a valuable franchise?
- Why are ticket sales important to MLS teams?
- Why do you think LAFC regularly sells out out their home games?
- What is leadership?
- Why is leadership important in sports?
- How do you think LAFC’s leadership has helped to guide the franchise to such high levels of success?
- What are broadcast rights?
- How will MLS and its teams benefit from the recent rights deal with Apple?
- Why do you think MLS teams have increased in value so significantly in such a short period of time?
- Do you think MLS teams will continue to rise in value as rapidly as they have in recent years? Why or why not? Be prepared to discuss your answers in class.