Set to launch in September, Overtime Elite (OTE) will allow participants to dispense with playing at the high school and collegiate levels before becoming eligible for the National Basketball Association (NBA).
The competition will initially consist of 30 players from across the world and be based in a single location, discussions for which are ongoing. Aaron Ryan, a former senior vice president at the NBA, will serve as president and commissioner.
Click here to read the story at sportspromedia.com.
- Why do you think this new league (Overtime Elite) is being formed?
- What is product positioning?
- What is product differentiation?
- How is the league positioning itself? How is it differentiating itself from the NBA? The G-League? The NCAA?
- Why might the NBA be supportive of the new league? Do you think they view the upstart league as a potential threat to is G-League? Why or why not?
- What is a situation (SWOT) analysis?
- How might a SWOT analysis look from the perspective of the OTE?
- Who do you think might represent OTE’s direct competition? Indirect competition? Why is that important?
- From a financial perspective, how do you think the league is being to structured to help it to grow and thrive?
- How might things like broadcast rights, sponsorship and player salaries impact the league’s ability to generate a profit?
- In your opinion, will the OTE be successful? Why or why not?