In 2009, Fox’s marketing team posed a $237 million question: How can we make sure that hordes of moviegoers turn out to see an ambitious tentpole about beastly blue humanoids living in a distant land no one has ever heard of?
Click here to read the story at vulture.com.
- What is advertising?
- Why do movie studios spend money on advertising and marketing?
- What was the last time you saw an advertisement or promotion for an upcoming film release?
- How much did the studio spend on marketing the original Avatar film?
- Based on what you learned from this news story, why was marketing important to the success of Avatar?
- What was unique about the way the studio promoted the original film?
- What was Avatar day?
- Based on what you learned from this story, why did they take that approach?
- How did Imax benefit from that partnership?
- What is fandom?
- How would you describe the level of fandom around Avatar?
- How might that change the way the studio promotes the new Avatar film when compared the original film release?