Starbucks’ Pumpkin Spice Latte has become as synonymous with fall as cardigan sweaters and “When Harry Met Sally” rewatches.
Click here to read the story at insider.com.
- Starbucks introduced the Pumpkin Spice Latte twenty years ago. Why do you think they wanted to add a new product to the menu?
- Why do you think a product name is important?
- According to this story, why did Starbucks’ initially consider calling the Pumpkin Spice Latte something else?
- What were two other options that were under consideration?
- Do you think they made the right call? Why or why not?
- What is product development?
- This story references Starbucks’ “research and development” space. What does that have to do with product development?
- What factors were considered when Starbucks’ developed the PSL?
- What is product life cycle?
- Which stage of the product life cycle best describes the Pumpkin Spice Latte’s current position?
- What is an industry trend?
- What is brand extension?
- How might the Starbucks’ PSL illustrate an example of both an industry trend and brand extension?
- What is seasonality when it comes to marketing?
- How might this news story represent an example?