Lebron James’ son Bronny got most of the headline play, but there’s another big story in the recent Nike NIL deal allowing college athletes to get paid. At a time of increased scrutiny about the pay gap between male and female athletes, the Nike deals show that female collegiate and amateur athletes are emerging as winners in the early days of the NIL era.
Click here to read the story at cnbc.com.
- What is NIL?
- How has NIL changed the landscape of college sports?
- What are social issues in sports and entertainment?
- What is a gender pay gap?
- Why do you think the gender pay gap is such an important issue in the business of sports and entertainment?
- This news story suggests female athletes are emerging as “economic winners” in the early days of NIL. How so?
- What do you think businesses and brands look for in an athlete to endorse their products and services?
- How important is a social media presence?
- How might female athletes provide opportunities for them to reach their target market?
- According to this story, how has women’s social media presence influenced current NIL deals?
- In your opinion, what does the future look like for female college athletes from a compensation perspective?
- How might NIL deals help to extend career opportunities for women after their playing careers end?