General Motors debuted a new logo meant to convey the automaker’s renewed commitment to the production and sale of electric vehicles. The company is also launching a new marketing campaign to underscore that commitment, as it seeks to compete with Tesla and other automakers that are rushing new EVs to market.
Click here to read the story at theverge.com.
- What is branding?
- Why do you think logos are important to a company from a branding perspective?
- Why do you think GM is introducing a new logo?
- Do you think there is a risk associated with the introduction of a new logo, especially for a brand as recognizable as GM? Why or why not?
- What is positioning?
- Based on information from this news story, how do you think GM is hoping to position the brand?
- How might this strategy help GM to compete with brands like Tesla?
- Why do you think a pivot to electric vehicles is an important priority for GM? Be prepated to discuss your answers.